350 Years of History

Fourth Mother House, Montreal, Canada East (Quebec), 1874. Archives Congrégation de Notre-Dame – Montréal.

The fourth Mother House of the Sisters of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame was built on their land on Notre-Dame Street with its façade on Saint-Jean-Baptiste Street. The Sisters occupied the building from 1844 to 1880, and again from 1893 to 1908 since the fifth Mother House, which had been built in 1880, was destroyed by fire in 1893. It was necessary to return to Saint-Jean-Baptiste Street, while the sixth Mother House was being built.